Managing Unsatisfactory Performance (MI-001)
Almost every organisation has issues of unsatisfactory performance at one time or another and, while it may not involve a big number of people, if it is not dealt with, it will lead to an erosion of standards, loss of talent and a gradual worsening of performance overall. This is why it is so important for managers and the whole organisation to address this topic.
- Understand why it is so necessary to deal with situations of unsatisfactory performance.
- Explore and practice new ways to handle feedback.
- Become skilled at identifying where the real problem lies with respect to a person’s knowledge, attitude or skillset.
- Learn and apply different approaches for effectively addressing the problem.
- Understand how to handle emotions when they arise.
- Remove the manager and leader’s dilemma of either being faithful to the person or to the organisation.
- Have a reliable structure and toolkit to effectively manage performance conversations for the benefit of all involved.
- 1. Getting Started
- 2. Handling Feedback
- 3. Challenging Assumptions
- 4. More Than One Way to Address a Problem
- 5. The Feelings Conversations
- 6. The Manager’s Dilemma
- 7. Intermediate Assignment
- 8. Structuring the Conversation
- 9. Bringing Things to a Close
- 10. Bringing Things to a Close – Finally!
- 11. Final Assignment